Friday, April 15, 2011

Crap Driving

A bad day on the roads yesterday. Morning run in through the back-end of Colliers Wood, an idiot-in-a-hurry overtook me on Eastbourne Road. This road is far to narrow for a safe overtake but it wasn't going to stop him. He started by revving impatiently, then edging closer, then finally forcing his way past by intimidating me out of his way. Too late to gain any advantage though, I caught him back up at the T-junction and got a good look at him. He looked like an angry Eric Clapton, but without Clapton's financial resources - his clapped-out old Peugeot didn't sound like it would be intimidating people for too much longer. Sadly I'd not got the video camera on. About a 5 on the Barber scale of close shaves: "distinctly disconcerting".

Next, in Battersea, a minicab driver forced his way past. Just as I was about to avoid a speed cushion, at a tad over 20MPH (it's downhill you see) I heard a honk behind me and the approaching minicab was on a collision course, so I swerved sharply to the left to avoid a coming-together. I had the video camera on this time. Looking at the vid again, it was a dog's breakfast of an overtake. The H-C advises against any overtakes where there's traffic calming. There was a blind junction on the right, and no reason to think an emerging vehicle would look left for an overtaking car. On top of all that, it big letters on both lanes, was the word 'S L O W'. A good 7 on the Barber scale: "downright dangerous".

Lunchtime, I figured I'd go to the police station and report the latter incident. Not with any great hope, but perhaps faced with video evidence the driver might 'fess up' without the need for a court appearance. I waited in line for 15 minutes. The young man in front of me was chavved up with the kind of labelled attire that the designers (Louis Vuitton, Henri Lloyd) wish people like him wouldn't wear as it devalues their brand. However, I thought, put that prejudice aside, he's probably just another victim. The first thing the desk seargeant said to him was: "So when were you arrested?" Oh well, Liberals 0, Stereotypes 1. Me next. "You'll need a form". 19 pages, but it looks like I'll only have to fill in one section. "What do I do with the video?" "They'll be in contact."

We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you luck - if Martin Porter QC couldn't get the Metplod to take him seriously, I'm not sure where that leaves you (unless of course you are a high court judge in your spare time).

    ReplyDelete